bc9Basic likes TCLib

Started by James C. Fuller, March 25, 2016, 06:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James C. Fuller

Quote from: Frederick J. Harris on December 14, 2016, 05:30:37 AM
Oh, and by the way Jim, I did build that resource script program we were working on with my version of TCLib and got the same exact number you posted - it was around 4 k or something like that.  You are right about the resource script GUIs being a bit smaller than comparable RegisterClass()/CreateWindow() apps.  I recall I had to add LPCTSTR, LPCWSTR, and LPCSTR to my tchar.h file, for the WinMain() parameters, which was a needed correction anyway.

Fred,
  There is one serious drawback using resource dialogs: They can very easily be hacked.
This was a very big issue for my client. I had always used resource dialogs in my work so his concern was the reason I developed my in memory dialog templates for PowerBASIC, along with a little script format for simple creation.  This was before DDT.
  Now we have the increase in exe size by having to include the code necessary to create in memory dialogs. I used the Spread 3.0 control and some of the format arrays were HUGE.
I ended up using aPlib to compress the dialog scripts to a fraction of the original size and store them as RCDATA in the resource file. I ported the aPLib fast asm decompress routine to PowerBASIC and used that for super  fast decompression of the RCDATA.
I've done the ground work for bc9Basic and TCLib also. I could not get anyone to port the aPlib fasm 64bit fast decompress routine to ML64 so I installed fasm and did it myself. I have it included in my TCLib version. Works great. I plan to showcase this in the future but I'm still busy porting José's CWindow/Afx code.

James
  •  

Frederick J. Harris

..in memory dialog templates...

I recall you spoke of those and posted about them before James, but to be honest, since I've always tended to shy away from Dialog based solutions, I never really figured out what they were all about.  If you wouldn't mind, do you have a link to where you've explained these in terms of what they are and the issues they are designed to solve?  I'm kind of drawing a blank on your statement that dialogs are easy to hack.   
  •  

James C. Fuller

Fred,
  My client had some of the best ratings in his line of work.
He did not want competitors to extract his data input screens, re-label them, and use them as their own.
This is how it's done:
http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

James
  •