SoftPixel Engine -- Free 3D engine

Started by Brice Manuel, October 14, 2011, 06:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brice Manuel

Here is another free 3D engine that would be perfect for use with PowerBASIC.  It is very full-featured.  It currently does not have a PowerBASIC wrapper, but it would be easy to work from the BlitzBasic wrappers.

http://softpixelengine.sourceforge.net/
http://softpixelengine.sourceforge.net/features.html

It could be something fun for somebody to play with.
  •  

Peter Weis

Hello Manuel,

do only once n3xtD ready then we'll see. I do not know if I still feel like doing something else!

regards Peter
  •  

Theo Gottwald

Peter, maybe it makes sense that you look which ios the better engine and choose to support only the best one?

Brice Manuel

In fairness, N3xtD is probably the best of the two, especially for PB users.  N3xtD also has better documentation, more examples and is being actively used by more developers and is based on a well established 3D engine.

SoftPixel is available for more platforms, but obviously this is not beneficial to PB users.  SoftPixel also needs the wrapper DLL to access the engine DLL.  This makes for a slightly convoluted distribution.

Both have their pros and cons.  Choice is always good no matter what. :)

I am merely posting something I think could be beneficial to some PB users. ;D
  •  

Peter Weis

Hi Theo,
I look at them again, but first I'm n3xtD error free
Do you really think that it is the better engine? :)
Maybe I did not do so many problems with ASCIZ
regards Peter
  •  

Peter Weis

Hello,
n3xtD has problems with ASCIZ whom you pass an empty string, the program will crash because Powerbasic byval passes zero. What is actually correct. n3xtD expects a pointer to an empty String, ByVal therefore not zero! I am the now passed over for a function!
See the example:

GLOBAL nullstr AS ASCIZ * 10     

DECLARE FUNCTION NX3_AddItem_GUIComboBox CDECL LIB "N3XTD.DLL" ALIAS "_AddItem_GUIComboBox"(_
    BYVAL combo AS IGUIComboBox, _
    BYREF pbTEXT AS ASCIZ) AS LONG

FUNCTION AddItem_GUIComboBox CDECL(BYVAL combo AS IGUIComboBox, BYREF pbTEXT AS ASCIZ) AS LONG
    DIM a AS ASCIZ PTR
    IF pbtext <> "" THEN
        ASM mov eax, pbTEXT
        ASM mov a, eax
    ELSE
        a = VARPTR(Nullstr)
    END IF
    FUNCTION = NX3_AddItem_GUIComboBox(combo, BYVAL a)

END FUNCTION       

regards Peter

•  

José Roca

This is shorter and easier:

FUNCTION AddItem_GUIComboBox (BYVAL combo AS IGUIComboBox, BYVAL strText AS STRING) AS LONG
   FUNCTION = NX3_AddItem_GUIComboBox(combo, BYVAL STRPTR(strText))
END FUNCTION       

•  

Peter Weis

Hello Jose,

Thanks again for the tip :)

regards Peter
  •  

Theo Gottwald

OK, this comparison is good to know. "Error free" sounds good, because this is also the strength of PowerBasic.