PowerBasic - will it recover or is the Air out?

Started by Theo Gottwald, December 06, 2012, 09:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Roberts

If they knew that they were moving lock, stock, and barrel I find it surprising that they did not mention it in the Cafe sometime beforehand with the expectation that there would be a potential for some disruption in service. Many, if not most, of us have been around the block enough times to accept such things. Of course, if the move was a bolt out of the blue then there may not have been sufficient time to let us know. Having said that a quick note on Monday would not have gone amiss unless they thought the disruption was behind them and a few days 'out' did not warrant a note.

It has been mentioned above that moving servers is not a trivial event. Moving offices as well is a whole new ball game and not mentioned, it would seem, in the email referred to above.

These must be traumatic times for PB, as they would be for any of us. John Strasser wrote "I also remember them saying how they were looking forward to their upcoming vacations once things smoothed out." I bet they are.
  •  

Patrice Terrier

Lack of communication, sounds like amateurism, and it is not a good signal when all the lurkers around are so upset.

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com
  •  

Eric Pearson

> I don't remember whom I spoke with though.

I could put you in a light trance, and perhaps we could retrieve the name.

-- Eric
  •  

John Strasser

Quote from: Theo Gottwald on December 12, 2012, 07:02:57 AM
Couldn't you call them again, hypnotize them and make them say the truth about the future ?  ;D
Or change their past in a way so they just forget the last weeks ?  :D

How do you know I *didn't* and am now planning some insider trading deal... ;D  :-X

And whist the second (forgetting) *is* possible, the fact that the events have reshaped their external world as well makes it impracticable.

John
Hypnotherapist Extraordinaire, NLP Trainer
----------------------------
John Strasser
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Phone: 480-273-8798
  •  

John Strasser

Quote from: Eric Pearson on December 12, 2012, 12:18:09 PM
> I don't remember whom I spoke with though.

I could put you in a light trance, and perhaps we could retrieve the name.

-- Eric

If the memory was actually recorded, then that would retrieve it...

On another note, I didn't know you played with hypnosis Eric
John
Hypnotherapist Extraordinaire, NLP Trainer
----------------------------
John Strasser
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Phone: 480-273-8798
  •  

Theo Gottwald

Eric is right, John.

Sit down and repeat slowly .... I feel so light and so light and so ....
now remember the phone call .. a man took the phone ... he said a name "Hello here is ... "
what was that name?

Write it below my post.

When i Make SNIP you will be wake ap and have forgotten anything about what we were talking before...

SNIP ...  ;D

Chris Holbrook

If I was less busy I would code an app to send a tweet to report  the PowerBASIC website status.
Yes, it is down again.
  •  

Eric Pearson

John --

> I didn't know you played with hypnosis Eric

I was named for Milton Erickson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Erickson).  My dad was one of his protégés; I was a toddler when I was hypnotized the first time.

I grew up on the grounds of the Nothern Michigan Asylum for the Insane, where my father was the head head-shrinker.  (Ok, it was called the Traverse City State Hospital when I lived there, and the house was part of dad's compensation, but it's more dramatic the other way.)  Dad was president of the American Society for Clinical Hypnosis when I was in grade school.

Yeah, I guess you could say I have played around with it.  ;D  But I don't practice it any more; being a doctor's kid doesn't make me a doctor.  But I could tell you some stories...

-- Eric

•  

Patrice Terrier

While i know Thomas Hanlin for long, i have never heard of Jim Bailey until now, who knows him?

Patrice Terrier
  •  

David Roberts

Quote from: Chris Holbrook on December 13, 2012, 09:39:02 AM
Yes, it is down again.

It came back for a few hours, Chris, and then died again.

I had been getting time-outs up until now.

For the forums I am now getting:
QuoteNot Found

The requested URL /support/pbforums/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at www.powerbasic.com Port 80
and for the homepage I am getting
QuoteIndex of /

cgi-bin/
Apache Server at www.powerbasic.com Port 80

I am not au fait with Internet protocol - any idea what they are up to now?
  •  

Eric Pearson

Patrice --

Jim has been around for a year, at least. 

http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pbforums/showthread.php?t=49115

My first email communications with him were at the end of December.  Good guy.

-- Eric
  •  

Patrice Terrier

Eric,

QuoteJim has been around for a year, at least.

I know he has not been there for long (myself i have been using PB since the start of compuserve).
But because he is the new official spokeman of the company, i would like to know more about himself, could be a good guy, but is he a skilled programmer?

Patrice Terrier
  •  

Marc Giao

I understand Jim is now the General Manager at PowerBASIC and he does answer his e-mails.

Marc
  •  

David Roberts

Eric posted a link but I was still not able to get to PB. I use OpenDNS. I disabled it and got to PB. On enabling I got the"not found on this server" messages again. It should settle down in a few days - if not then I'll kick a stink at OpenDNS.  ;D
  •