Future of powerbasic

Started by Sutthisak Phongthanapanic, September 01, 2013, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Hutchesson

I think you will start to see things moving again reasonably soon, I have known Tom Hanlin for years and he has the know how to get things up and going again. Vivian Zale has made a very good business choice here with a programmer of Tom's experience and with his background in supporting basic programming going back into the 1980s, his knowledge of support will be invaluable.

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Steve Hutchesson on November 09, 2013, 10:34:40 PM
I think you will start to see things moving again reasonably soon, I have known Tom Hanlin for years and he has the know how to get things up and going again.

Many of us have known him for years and have direct experience about what happens when Tom takes over a programming language.
  •  

Patrice Terrier

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com
  •  

David Roberts

I kept my trap shut at the PB forums but I know exactly what you mean, Brice. As Patrice says, 'Wait and see'. I sincerely hope that I am wrong but it could be the last nail in the coffin.
  •  

Brice Manuel

Quote from: David Roberts on November 10, 2013, 08:44:10 AM
I sincerely hope that I am wrong but it could be the last nail in the coffin.
This was the topic of a couple of phone conversations yesterday.  There are many who share your concern.
  •  

Gary Beene

I've never met Tom myself. I only know him through reputation, which from my reading has usually been quite good.

I almost hate to ask, but was there an event in the past (before my time, apparently) that leads to the "nail in the coffin" comment?  I'm not trolling for a diatribe here, so if you have a response, please keep it short.  I only ask because if there was a perceived shortcoming, it might lead to a useful suggestion for Tom to consider.

For that matter, is there a very succinct list of suggestions that we could offer up to Tom - helpful suggestions that is. "Fold up the tent" is not what I'm looking for ...
  •  

Jim Dunn

Quote from: Gary Beene on November 10, 2013, 05:35:10 PM... I almost hate to ask, but was there an event in the past (before my time, apparently) that leads to the "nail in the coffin" comment? ...

Just ask one of the "old timers" about "IBASIC"...
  •  

José Roca

Please, this is no place for gossip. If you want to talk about somebody, do it privately. Thanks.
  •  

Gary Beene

Jose,
Whoops, sorry. I wasn't around here until about about 2010 - didn't realize the sensitivity of the topic. 

But, folks, don't lose track of my question:
QuoteFor that matter, is there a very succinct list of suggestions that we could offer up to Tom - helpful suggestions that is. "Fold up the tent" is not what I'm looking for ...
If there are any useful/helpful suggestions we can make to PowerBASIC, perhaps we can be part of the solution to helping PowerBASIC be/stay viable!.
  •  

Tom Hanlin

I can talk about IBASIC, which frankly turned out to be a criminal enterprise. It was founded on other people's software that could not legally be sold, on "open source" software where they sold the sources that were required to be free, and an owner who did not live up to his own contracts. I did not do nearly enough due diligence. It looked like what I wanted. It was far from that. There was no way anyone could have continued that company. The code was garbage and the company was totally illegal.

I lost a great deal of money on that transaction. Eh, we live and learn, and sometimes it smarts a lot.
  •  

Patrice Terrier

Tom,

The lack of communications, either for IBASIC, or PowerBASIC (the purpose of this tread), has forced many of us to move to new horizon(s).

I couldn't see anybody, even you, able to take over Bob Zale's work.

Things have been neglected for too long.

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com
  •  

Jon Eskdale

I agree the lack of communications has been the worst part with PowerBASIC and I was never involved with IBASIC so can't comment.  But although some have moved - many including myself have not and would love to support PowerBASIC in the future.  It's a wonderful product as it is now, and would love to see it go forward even further.  It has been neglected for a while and it won't be easy to take over Bob's work but I'm sure it is most definitely worth saving and developing further.

Jon
  •  

Edwin Knoppert

Quote from: Tom Hanlin on December 11, 2013, 04:58:27 AM
...The code was garbage and the company was totally illegal.

I lost a great deal of money on that transaction. Eh, we live and learn, and sometimes it smarts a lot.

I have no intention to interfere with the 'who saves PB' discussion but this statement wonders me.
How can one not being capable to check out his goods before purchasing it?
  •  

Frederick J. Harris

How can one not being capable to check out his goods before purchasing it?

I think it can just happen.  Couple years ago I bought a truck.  I did what I thought was reasonable online research on the truck before I bought it.  After I bought it I ran into a problem which I simply failed to discover in my research.  It was there - I simply failed to recognize it.  S*** happens. 

A number of us wondered what happened with IBasic.  Tom's statement above is the first mention of it I've seen.  I'm sorry it didn't work out for him.
  •  

Tom Hanlin

Tsch, yeah. I am probably not going to repeat Bob Zale. I don't think anyone has the incentives available. But we have a very interested group, and I might imagine a small collection of talented people filling in. Consider being one of them.
  •