g   Use the shorter of %e or %f   392.65
G   Use the shorter of %E or %f   392.65
o   Unsigned octal   610
s   String of characters   sample
u   Unsigned decimal integer   7235
x   Unsigned hexadecimal integer   7fa
X   Unsigned hexadecimal integer (capital letters)   7FA
p   Pointer address   B800:0000
n   Nothing printed. The argument must be a pointer to a signed int, where the number of characters written so far is stored.   
%

flags   description
-   Left-justify within the given field width; Right justification is the default (see width sub-specifier).
+   Forces to precede the result with a plus or minus sign (+ or -) even for positive numbers. By default, only negative numbers are preceded with a - sign.
(space)   If no sign is going to be written, a blank space is inserted before the value.
#   Used with o, x or X specifiers the value is preceeded with 0, 0x or 0X respectively for values different than zero.
Used with e, E and f, it forces the written output to contain a decimal point even if no digits would follow. By default, if no digits follow, no decimal point is written.
Used with g or G the result is the same as with e or E but trailing zeros are not removed.
0   Left-pads the number with zeroes (0) instead of spaces, where padding is specified (see width sub-specifier).

width   description
(number)   Minimum number of characters to be printed. If the value to be printed is shorter than this number, the result is padded with blank spaces. The value is not truncated even if the result is larger.
*   The width is not specified in the format string, but as an additional integer value argument preceding the argument that has to be formatted.

.precision   description
.number   For integer specifiers (d, i, o, u, x, X): precision specifies the minimum number of digits to be written. If the value to be written is shorter than this number, the result is padded with leading zeros. The value is not truncated even if the result is longer. A precision of 0 means that no character is written for the value 0.
For e, E and f specifiers: this is the number of digits to be printed after the decimal point.
For g and G specifiers: This is the maximum number of significant digits to be printed.
For s: this is the maximum number of characters to be printed. By default all characters are printed until the ending null character is encountered.
For c type: it has no effect.
When no precision is specified, the default is 1. If the period is specified without an explicit value for precision, 0 is assumed.
.*   The precision is not specified in the format string, but as an additional integer value argument preceding the argument that has to be formatted.

length   description
h   The argument is interpreted as a short int or unsigned short int (only applies to integer specifiers: i, d, o, u, x and X).
l   The argument is interpreted as a long int or unsigned long int for integer specifiers (i, d, o, u, x and X), and as a wide character or wide character string for specifiers c and s.
L   The argument is interpreted as a long double (only applies to floating point specifiers: e, E, f, g and G).

Return Value
On success, the total number of characters written is returned.
On failure, a negative number is returned.

*/

Charles Pegge

Simple C printing example, using standard o2 settings:

'03:43 11/08/2018
'msvcrt val/str/format$ equivalent
'http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/cstdio/printf/
'nb: msvcrt downgrades extended precision to double.

uses windows/msvcrt 'or corewin
  char odata[64]
  sprintf(odata,"%g", double 1/3)
  print odata
  sprintf(odata,"%lli", quad 9/5)
  print odata

Frank Brübach

Thx Charles so simple :)

'c_switch example

int f cdecl (int a)
{
  a=2
  switch a
  {
    case 1 : print "A" : break
    case 2 : print "B" : break
    case 3 : print "C" : break
  }
}

f(2)
'B

int f cdecl (int b)
{
  b=4
  switch b
  {
    case 1 : print "A" : break
    case 2 : print "B" : break
    case 3 : print "C" : break
    case 4 : print "Oxygen" : break
  }
}

f(4)
'Oxygen

PS Charles did you ever Work with visual Basic (net) of Microsoft?

Charles Pegge

I have not used Vis basic,  studio or .net. My experience started with pre-PC BASICs before C became a major language.