News from Microsoft

Started by José Roca, November 13, 2014, 03:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

José Roca

Visual Studio Community 2013
November 12, 2014

Visual Studio Community 2013 is a new edition that enables you to unleash the full power of Visual Studio to develop cross-platform solutions. Create apps in one unified IDE. Get Visual Studio extensions that incorporate new languages, features, and development tools into this IDE. (These extensions are available from the Visual Studio Gallery.)

What's in Visual Studio Community 2013

• Professional-grade editing, code analysis, and debugging support
  • Support for open-source workflows (Git)
  • Compilers for managed languages, C++ and more
  • Cross-platform mobile development for your preferred device and platform, including the web, Android, iOS, and Windows Phone with the free Visual Studio Tools for Apache Cordova extension
  • Take advantage of cloud services with simplified Azure SDK integration, and incorporate modern app analytics and telemetry with Application Insights
  • Access to all the Visual Studio 2013 extensions on the Visual Studio Gallery
  • Visual Studio Community 2013 includes Update 4, which is a cumulative update of all previous Visual Studio 2013 updates

See: http://www.visualstudio.com/news/vs2013-community-vs
  •  

José Roca

NEW YORK — Nov. 12, 2014 — On Wednesday, Microsoft Corp. reinforced its commitment to cross-platform developer experiences by open sourcing the full server-side .NET stack and expanding .NET to run on the Linux and Mac OS platforms. Microsoft also released Visual Studio Community 2013, a new free edition of Visual Studio that provides easy access to the Visual Studio core toolset. The announcements kicked off Microsoft's Connect (); event, where the company released Visual Studio 2015 Preview and .NET 2015 Preview.

More... http://news.microsoft.com/2014/11/12/microsoft-takes-net-open-source-and-cross-platform-adds-new-development-capabilities-with-visual-studio-2015-net-2015-and-visual-studio-online/

.NET Foundation

GitHub repository: https://github.com/dotnet/corefx

•  

James C. Fuller

José,
  Great news.
Did you happen to notice a link with info on ugrading 2013 Express to Community?

James

•  

James C. Fuller

Seems to be a no-brainer although I have not installed it on my production machine yet.
Installed on Win 8.1 where I already had VS 2013 express installed
I did an update  (4) on Visual Studio 2013 Express but found it was still Express (duh)
Fired up the Community setup and all seems fine. My old stuff that used batch files and just the compiler seem to run fine.
Added bonus is we now have the dialog editor.

James
  •  

Patrice Terrier

QuoteNews from Microsoft

All, but managed code...

Hé hé  ;D

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com
  •  

James C. Fuller

It appears we don't get everything??
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'nafxcw.lib'

I searched the whole drive.

James

•  

Patrice Terrier

QuoteLINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'nafxcw.lib'
nafxcw.lib and nafxcwd.lib are used only by ATL MFC ...

I never use MFC to avoid extra dependencies (like to keep my code size as small as possible).

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com
  •  

James C. Fuller

Yeah I know.
I was just trying to compile a very basic mfc example from the command line.

James

#include <afxwin.h>

class MFC_Tutorial_Window: public CFrameWnd
{
public:
    MFC_Tutorial_Window ()
    {
        Create(NULL, "MFC Tutorial Part 1 CoderSource Window");
    }
};

class MyApp: public CWinApp
{
private:
    MFC_Tutorial_Window*  wnd;

public:
    BOOL InitInstance ()
    {
        wnd = new  MFC_Tutorial_Window();
        m_pMainWnd = wnd;
        m_pMainWnd->ShowWindow(SW_SHOW);
        return TRUE;
    }

};

MyApp theApp;

•  

Mike Stefanik

IIRC, the free versions of Visual Studio never provided support for MFC or ATL. You may be able to find an older version of the MFC headers and import libraries out there on one of the free Windows Platform SDKs, but I suspect you'd have issues trying to compile code that depended on the newer classes. There's also the wrinkle that Microsoft has deprecated support for the MBCS libraries, and there's a lot of older MFC code out there that was not Unicode aware.
  •  

James C. Fuller

Mike,
  I have no problem creating an MFC app using the ide and the wizards with the new community edition. MFC and ATL are both included as is the resource editor.
I'd just like to do it outside the ide.

James
  •  

Mike Stefanik

Good to know, I have MSDN so I don't have any real need for the community edition, but the old express editions were somewhat limited. Microsoft has been making some really positive changes lately.
  •  

James C. Fuller

Surprise, Surprise bc9Basic now does mfc. New version update soon.

José,
  Where did you get all your afx info?
I found some of the mfc info on MSDN but it is a bit scattered and not very non-Visual Studio friendly.

James
  •  

José Roca

They are not translations of MFC code; they only sare the prefix.
  •